Log in

   Journal    Friends    Archive    Profile    Memories

Chronicle of Days Past

Feb. 23rd, 2017 06:50 pm Cat Nights

Somehow, last week ended up making me even more annoyed than the week before.  Maybe the dermatologist's appointment Wednesday contributed to the feeling of not having enough time to do anything, but part of it was the catsitting.  When I'm not coming from work, it's much more of a trek, and I had to get up early both Friday and Saturday.

Before heading over to the cat's Thursday night, I stopped by the country club because the subdivision homeowner's association was supposed to be meeting.  I was freshly annoyed because I'd tried to bike to tutoring again, only to find the gate closed for the first time in my recollection.  As far as I can tell, it's been closed since then, cutting me off from easy (and logical) access to the road.

At first I thought no one was meeting, but I think one of the dining tables was occupied by the group.  I'd already eaten and wasn't going to interrupt them, so I left.  As I left the light of the club for the cold, clear night, I heard a strange bubbling sound out near my car.  Using my cell phone light I determined there was indeed some water bubbling up on the lawn.  Maybe a pipe broke?  The whole situation gave me a surreal feeling.

This Monday was Presidents' Day, but I still had work, although we were so quiet I only had one student all afternoon and left an hour early.  Earlier in the day was the church volunteer luncheon, which was fun.  I got last pick of the white elephant gifts, but nothing really struck my eye.

Despite catsitting again tonight and tomorrow morning, I've got enough done today that I hope tomorrow will be similar and the week won't feel like the past few in terms of unaccomplishment and rush and tiredness.

Current Mood: tiredtired
Current Music: "A Sentimental Man"--"Wicked" soundtrack

Leave a comment

Feb. 12th, 2017 07:57 pm Bloodwork

My oak tree went from yellowed leaves and some bare branches to pollen "flowers" to new green in the span of a couple weeks.  It was mostly warm this week, which didn't stop me from finally riding my bike to tutoring on Thursday.  I've been meaning to ever since I got the new bike, it's so close, but I've had more tutoring elsewhere afterwards.  Now my kids' hours have changed.  It might have been my only chance because I'll be moving my Friday tutoring afterwards soon.  It only took me eight minutes; driving the car might have actually taken longer.

It was a big week for doctor visits, with the rheumatologist on Monday and then an unexpected visit to my regular doctor Friday to go over my bloodwork.  Nothing was too bad, but I wish I'd been able to get online to see my bloodwork instead of having to worry about it until I got to the doctor's.  Next week is just the dermatologist.

Hopefully all the medical stuff was what kept the week so busy, so this week won't be so bad and I can actually get some extra stuff done.  Now that the tutoring hours have changed I am enjoying occasionally getting to eat before seven, so that's a plus.

Current Mood: grumpygrumpy
Current Music: "Go the Distance"--"Hercules" soundtrack

Leave a comment

Feb. 5th, 2017 07:45 pm Robins, Witches, Senators, and Muskets

Well, it's about a week after I initially wanted to make a post, so there's lots to talk about.  I woke up early one morning the week before last because of what sounded like people on the roof.  I got up and looked around but obviously I couldn't tell from inside.  All I could tell was that the annual swarm of robins was back (and still is, but they're most active in the morning, so I don't see them as much.)  I'm still not sure if someone was on the roof, but I think they have been doing some work next door.

WickedCollapse )

After a relaxing Saturday doing nothing in particular, I had a very busy week, mostly because my "free" time was taking up researching and trying to decide how best to contact my conresspeople.  It didn't help that there was new news every day that might change things.  But I did finally manage to call Thursday, and that, plus the research in general, generally helped my mood in regards to political things, I think.  And hopefully now that I know the websites and contact info it won't take so long when I want to do it again.

I had a new student Friday.  Hopefully we can move the time, as I've kind of liked having Friday as my "day off."  We might should move the location, as her numerous other kid relatives had trouble not bothering her as we tutored.

Battle of Townsend's PlantationCollapse )

The neighbors across the way are screaming at the top of their lungs about the Super Bowl (or at least I assume that is what they are yelling about.)  I hate to complain about passion, but it is very annoying.

Current Mood: annoyedannoyed
Current Music: "Tabiji"--Kitaro

Leave a comment

Jan. 22nd, 2017 06:50 pm Books and Birds

It's been a busy couple weeks of work and late evenings as activities renew, but nothing much of note has happened to cause me to write until now.  I didn't watch any of the inauguration (although I did see a bald eagle on the golf course), but it made me think back to eight years ago, and how different the mood was then!  I feel somewhat guilty for not doing anything to protest, but I have the feeling there will be something eventually.

I visited my new doctor Wednesday morning, and it seemed to go well enough, although it took several hours, and I may be his youngest patient.  I had bloodwork to get for both him and the rheumatologist Friday (leaving me about a quart low, it felt) and then errands after that.  But even though the library had been closed for both Monday and Sunday for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day and I was anxious to visit again, as I had several books to check out (to say nothing of browsing the DVDs), I decided to hold out until Sunday.

Saturday I got up early (comparatively) to go to church and work on the college and career rooms.  It took me about two hours to tape everything on the walls for painting.  They hadn't gotten lunch yet when I left, and I decided to forgo the doughnuts to get some food after stopping by Birdapalooza.

BirdapaloozaCollapse )

Current Mood: worriedworried
Current Music: "The Riders of Rohan"--David Arkenstone

Leave a comment

Jan. 9th, 2017 08:19 pm Vampires in Winter

I'd thought I might finish Vampire:  the Masquerade Bloodlines New Year's Eve, but after a difficult battle I decided I'd had enough for the night.  I'm glad, because there turned out to be quite a bit more game (and difficult battles, although I only had to resort to cheats once) and I didn't end up finishing the game until Friday.  (For fun, I only played the game at night, but I didn't really have any opportunity to play it during the day anyway.)  Overall, I liked it, but I'm still a little aghast at the lack of guys to romance.

I didn't have work until Wednesday (and no church that evening) so I had somewhat more time, but most of ended up going towards putting up the Christmas decorations and trying to schedule tutoring times.  I did have a relaxing day Saturday, which was grey and rainy as it finally got really cold.  It was almost freezing when I got up Sunday (although sixty degrees in the house.)  I had a fire that night, and even with long pajamas I had to get an extra blanket.

Current Mood: amusedamused
Current Music: "Hidden World"--Diane Arkenstone

Leave a comment

Dec. 31st, 2016 02:43 pm Your 2016 Year-End Post

In some ways, I'm surprised that another year is already passed.  It feels like I was just writing 2015's entry.  But reading over this year's entries, a lot did happen.  More than I thought, perhaps camoflaged by all that stayed the same.

Spring was a time of tutoring and space.  Tutoring kept me relatively busy.  But between a visit to the planetarium, one of my students studying earth/space science, and finishing with a visit to Kennedy Space Center in April, the stars above were surprisingly often on my mind.

As spring turned to summer my unemployment ran out and I attempted to get food stamps again, a frustrating process in failed bureacracy.  Yet, ironically, despite numerous interviews over the year (I think I had more interviews this year than any previous, albeit most of them with temp agencies, who only seem to interview when they have one particular job in mind) it was only after giving up on food stamps that my job luck started to turn around in August.  I got a new tutoring job, and one of my previous ones become more profitable.  In October I got yet more work, this from home.

All these jobs (and the hunting thereof) plus random surveys have kept me busy.  And there's been church choir(s since I started helping out with children's choir in the fall.)  In my entries I'm often surprised I didn't get to do as much as I hoped (or being amazed at how little or much I slept, which is somewhat related.) 

HealthCollapse )

Although there was nothing so dramatic as a trip to Alaska, the year wasn't without seeing the sights.  There was Kennedy Space Center, showing my aunts Winter Park, two bear sightings, and all the old forts of Georgia and South Carolina.  Alas, after that and I started my new work, the only new place was the Orlando Eye (which took several tries.)  No wonder the fall sometimes seemed monotonous.

But that is what entertainment is for.  In movies I mostly stuck to Marvel and (by a vast margin) Rifftrax productions.  Everything else I can watch at home.  Besides the reliable library DVDs, with the new smart TV I could watch Netflix even easier than before.  And I rediscovered YouTube as a source of entertaining videos.  And there are always books to read.

Electric AdventuresCollapse )

So this was my 2016.  I tutored a lot of math, visited a nature park in Eustis, got a Slurpee in Thunderbolt, watched a lot of Star Trek, changed political parties, catsat, finished Heroine's Quest, made hummus, got a new car, saw Bill Bryson, and helped out with VBS.  That was my year.

Current Mood: busybusy
Current Music: "The Boxer"--Simon & Garfunkel

Leave a comment

Dec. 26th, 2016 10:52 pm Christmastime

Despite planning to write an entry before our Christmas trip, I never got around to it last week.  I had work Monday, and Tuesday and Wednesday were pleasantly busy with shopping, including the usual mall visit.  There were many people and babies and I enjoyed the holiday atmosphere and not having to buy anything as much as I enjoyed actually buying things for my family elsewhere.  And of course I finished with a visit to Barnes and Noble that left my upper legs sore the next day.

Christmas JourneyCollapse )

To my surprise, I slept until 11:30; apparently I needed yet still more sleep.  I had enough time to get some work done before heading to the parents' for gifts and (eventually) food.  I got clothes, soap, money, gift cards, (my) pictures, salami, shrimp, kitchen appliances, lots of candy, and more.

It was weird to be in North Carolina so shortly, but it was still nice to see family, and it's nice to be home again so quickly.  I hope I get some time to relax and enjoy my gifts this week in the midst of work and de-decorating and everything else.

Current Mood: gratefulgrateful
Current Music: "The Rocky Mountains"--Tim Janis

Leave a comment

Dec. 16th, 2016 07:58 pm Electric Adventures

I didn't end up tutoring Thursday, either, so Monday was the only day I worked last week thanks to being sick (besides my at-home stuff, of course.  Glad to have that!)  But I gradually felt better, and I was mistaken about us having a play to go to Saturday, so for the first time in awhile I had a Saturday to do nothing but relax.

Since I managed to finish the last Blackwell game (which was kind of a downer, although overall I liked the game and series) it was time to download a couple more of the games I'd bought awhile ago and hadn't yet played.  (I still feel kind of bad I haven't finished Star Trek:  25th Anniversary or Shadow of the Templars first like I planned, because it'll be tough to go back and do so after these more anticipated games, but I wanted to treat myself for the holidays.)

There was Memoria, a pretty and hopefully interesting adventure game, which turned out to take longer downloading than I thought.  So I started first playing the Vampire:  the Masquerade Bloodlines game.  That was a blast from the past.  I've never played the game, but I'm familiar with the game's publisher.  And of course I played Vampire tabletop back in college.  I was actually able to dig up my old character sheet pretty quickly (pretty impressive, considering it's older than this Livejournal) and base my first character on that.

I haven't actually gotten to do much since, however.  Although I didn't sing Sunday night (I was still using the occasional cough drop until yesterday) I didn't end up getting much done but a nap.  And I didn't get home until after eight the next couple nights.  I slept late and should have been getting plenty of rest, but I woke up tired.  Finally Wednesday night I slept almost eleven hours.

Current Mood: geekygeeky
Current Music: "Call of the Champions"--John Williams

Leave a comment

Dec. 7th, 2016 05:16 pm From the Throat

Friday I headed up long dark country roads to Deland to see a musical "Christmas Carol" with my sister.  Although I enjoyed the costumes and set design, the songs weren't all that catchy, alas.  I got to bed afterwards far too late, even though I'd gotten home at a reasonable hour.

All About That BabyCollapse )

After getting costumes off and grabbing some cookies, I went over to discuss catsitting (although I hestitate to call it that when I'm just giving him a shot twice) before heading home and collapsing in bed for an hour.  I finally ate dinner around ten.

I couldn't sleep as late as I wanted Monday due to a video interview with Accountemps, but the alarm was still later than I'd woken up for the past two days.  I kept waking up, nervous I'd overslept.  After work Monday I went to the cat's.  I eventually found him staring at me from his bed after I'd finally figured out the very non-intuitive light switches.  He was amenable to petting, fortunately.  But afterwards I had a horribly bad sore throat.  It was painful.

SickCollapse )

Current Mood: sicksick
Current Music: "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"--Mannheim Steamroller

Leave a comment

Nov. 29th, 2016 01:55 pm Bread, Pizza, and No Rice

After a busy day visiting the doctor and every store ever, I was glad to finally get home last Tuesday.  I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped, mostly because of the healthcare agent messing up my address (so we had to redo it) and because the local Walmart didn't have several of the food items I was hoping for (and again, why mint Kitkats but not mint Hershey's miniatures?  That makes no sense.)

Thankfully, I ended up not having work Wednesday morning, but work in the afternoon went well.  During the parade Thanksgiving morning I worked online and then dusted and cleaned the kitchen.  Despite much nervousness about the timing, my loaf of bread rose basically according to schedule, stayed risen during the trip to the parents' for baking, and seems to have been enjoyed at Thanksgiving meal.  It was nice to see the fake family again.

After work and mopping and vacuuming, Key came over and we decorated, newly including the large fake tree that I think the parents had last year.  Then I headed to her place, but I managed to get lost on the way to pick up the pizza, getting there an hour after I was supposed to pick it up.  Finally I arrived with pizza and we commenced decorating her place.

I stayed the night, we decorated some more, and then headed to New Smyrna to see the parents.  The wind was cold off the Atlantic.  After some Christmas trivia, Papa and I went to see Arrival, which I enjoyed but wasn't very vivid.  I skipped Sunday school to sleep more and shower, but I still needed a nap later in the afternoon (much of which was spent cleaning the new phone of unnecessary contacts and apps.)

Current Mood: soresore
Current Music: "Song of the Caged Bird"--Lindsey Stirling

Leave a comment

Back a Page - Forward a Page